For children who struggle to memorize math procedures and facts, being able to understand what is happening in a problem is essential. Children who struggle with math do so primarily because memorization of steps and facts using symbols don't fall within their area of giftedness. We understand this, so we show kids what multiplication & division mean, help them understand what is happening within each procedure, and provide tons of hands-on experience solving problems with real materials.
Why many students struggle with learning fractions:
- A large number of children don’t learn new information by simply trying to memorize facts. They might remember briefly, but after a few days or hours, the facts they crammed into their brains are gone!
- For many children, learning times tables is super boring and there is little understanding of what they are doing.
- The sheer number of facts they have to learn seem insurmountable.
- When kids memorize facts, most of the time, they don’t understand how to apply what they have learned in daily life.
Images show the meaning of multiplication:
How Right-Brained Multiplication & Division addresses these difficulties:
- We include a tracking chart that shows exactly how many unique number combinations the student will need to learn. They can keep track for themselves and see their amazing progress.
- Every concept is story based and illustrated in order to help students understand what is going on and what the process looks like. This is where math comprehension comes into play!
- Shortcuts and simple tricks for memory are included.
- Visual memory plays a huge role in this approach to learning multiplication & division. Visual memory is a magical tool that is very under-utilized in traditional learning methods. Whenever we can harness visual memory, learning and retention are greatly increased.
- Hands-on activities are included which appeals to many kinesthetic and tactile learners. They learn quickly and effectively through touch and body movement combined with images.
- All activities, worksheets, assessments and answer keys are included. The book is ready to pick up and use.