Systematic Phonics Instruction
With Sound Spelling Teaching Cards, you will be equipped to effectively teach 154 sound spellings, word structure, spelling, and to enhance reading comprehension. Sound Spelling Teaching Cards include all sound spellings that are not a basic sound. Any time a letter represents a different sound or is combined with other letters to make a new sound together, there is a card. There are also multiple cards for each sound. For example, Long O has 8 cards representing the 8 different ways to spell Long O.
Sound Spelling Teaching Cards come in their own specially made box for easy storage. The box also has a Quick Start Guide printed on the back with directions on where to start when you receive your cards!
Whats in the box?
154 Sound Spelling Cards, Including:
-Short & Long OO
-/ZH/, /NG/, /NGK/, /F/, /G/, /H/, /J/, /K/, /L/, /M/, /N/, /KW/, /R/, /S/, /T/, /Z/
-Dividing Tabs and Directions
How to Use:
- Select one sound spelling to teach. For example, Long A sound spellings. Look behind the tab called Long Vowel Sounds (card #43) and find the 8 Long A cards showing the eight ways to spell Long A.
- Notice on the Long Vowel Spellings tab that each spelling has a Key Word. Key Words are well-known words that serve as examples of each sound spelling. You can say "AI as in rain” and then find other words match that sound spelling: “wait, pail, mail, snail, hail, main, stain,” etc.
- Display all 8 cards for Long A, but focus on one spelling at a time. Displaying all the sound spellings help children orient themselves to the fact that this family of spellings all make the same sound. If they have the chance to see them all in one place, it helps them as they read to locate a new word within the group.
- For each spelling, you may cut a long strip of paper and write the Key Word at the top. Then as your children find other words with AI in them, they can write them on the strip which you will have displayed for them.
- Alternately, your students can keep notebooks that contain the words they are collecting for each sound spelling.