How the 301 SnapWords® Kit Adds Comprehension and Fluency to Learning Sight Words
Thank you for your interest in our 301 SnapWords® Kit. If you purchased a 306 SnapWords® Kit, the 301 SnapWords® Kit will complete your collection of SnapWords®.
While both the 306 and 301 SnapWords® Kits are designed to help your students recognize essential sight words instantly, the additional focus of the 301 SnapWords® Kit is on adding other essential reading skills such as comprehension.
While learning to recognize individual sight words is important, our goal for our children is for them to read whole passages fluently and with comprehension. Adding the 301 SnapWords® Kit will help accomplish this as it contains rich nouns and verbs that your child can use to create meaningful sentences. It will change their experience from being able to read lists of words to being able to easily read whole passages.
Here are some important uses for the 301 Kit:
- Introduce words to very young children – as young as 18 months. (For example: ball, bird, box, book cat, car, boy, etc.) These are objects they are familiar with, so learning to recognize the word will be easy.
- Teach your students words that are used across the curriculum (example: o’clock, number, insect, world, planet, ocean, world, etc.) This will make reading for other subjects much easier.
- Add context and meaning to abstract sight words. Go from learning I, to, on, in, the, play, have, etc. to making sentences such as “That house is on an island out in the ocean” Or “I’m finally free to go play and have fun!” All the words in those sentences are SnapWords®.
- Because you can create sentences with the words in the 301 Kit, you can focus your attention on making sure reading comprehension is where it should be. Use a pocket chart to display your sentences.
- The hands-on aspect of creating sentences with cards will engage active learners, will capture their attention, and will make their learning student-driven.
- As you create sentences with the newly-learned 301 words, you can focus on teaching parts of speech and sentence construction. Identify and group words that are nouns or verbs or adjectives and teach children how to create sentences properly using those words. This practice will not only propel them into reading, but will help tremendously in creating skilled writers.
If your children did well with 306 SnapWords® Kit, it makes so much sense to continue on with the 301 SnapWords® Kit so word recognition will remain easy for them – and so you can focus on the other important aspects of reading.
Pick up your 301 SnapWords kit today and allow your child to form their sentences with deep, longer, and more special words as was not possible before.