What is the SnapWords® System?
The SnapWords® System inextricably binds sight word acquisition with explicit phonics instruction.
Leveling the playing field
Who Is It For?
The SnapWords® System was crafted with the aim of reaching the approximately 60% of students who struggle within traditional reading instruction paradigms. Recognizing the neurodiversity among children, we understand that not all learners absorb, process, and retain new information in conventional ways. Indeed, this 60% of learners often exhibit non-traditional learning processes. Our mission is to offer resources that respect and align with their natural cognitive tendencies, ensuring that all children have equitable opportunities for learning success.
How Does it Work?
As each Level of SnapWords® is introduced, SnapWords® Mini-Lessons serve as comprehensive sessions covering word recognition, related phonics concepts, spelling, writing, decoding unknown words, and comprehension. Through correlated decodable children's readers, students practice their newly acquired skills within context. Following reading practice, engaging game-based activities further reinforce learning and facilitate fluency development. Below, we outline the System's structure, the diverse student population it serves, its operational mechanics, and the underlying principles driving its effectiveness.
How Do I Teach the SnapWords® System?
- Select a level for your child or group of children
- Display those 10-12 words in a pocket chart
- Follow SnapWords® Mini-Lessons as you teach each word
- As soon as children recognize the image side, turn the cards over
- Use the related Children’s Readers to practice new concepts
- Provide students with the tactile activities from Beyond Sight Words Activities
- Display the new words on the word wall
- Select a new Level to teach and repeat.